Wednesday, June 2, 2010

SQUASH IT AGAIN!

This is going to be a short but delicious post today. I'm so excited, I can hardly type! I just put my re-edited first novel on the Web at www.YouPublish.com/SimonLangbooks. Check it out. It was first published in 1973, right after I stopped working for Star Trek (the old TV series--maybe some of you will remember it) and now I'm getting ready to put all five of my books online, as well as the new ones I'm working on.

So I'm really jazzed today!--but not so jazzed that I can't give you a terrific recipe for summer squash, that's s-o-o-o-o good with pastas of all kinds. Here we go:

We’re going to be talking about squash again, but this time it’s Summer Squash, that meltingly delicious veggie that almost no one has met. At least, not under very favorable conditions. It’s time to change that image, and right now, too.

You might even want to grow some, to have it on hand free, and not have to go to the store. But before you decide, be sure to try this first:

No matter what kind of squash you think you want to grow, buy one first to try it out, and--if and your family likes the taste of it, once it’s cooked--save the seeds. The process is outlined in Blog # 3 and pertains only to winter squash; of you want to grow your own summer squash, you’ll have to buy some seed packets. Sorry. I have to buy them, too.

Caveat here: I lied. You CAN grow summer squash seeds by letting zucchini grow to the size of baseball bats and harvesting the seeds. Or by letting crookneck squash get so hard and dry it's almost impossible to pry open the skin to get AT the seeds. I just don't have the room to do it any more. So mea culpa. Buy or grow at your own preference. I tend to buy summer squash seeds, that's all.

When you've grown some nice little guys, here's what to do with them:



ZUCCHINI OR CROOKNECK SQUASH (or any summer squash)

6-8 zucchini or crookneck squash, about 6" long
1/2 tsp dried OR
1 tbsp fresh chopped basil leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp dried OR
1 Tbsp fresh oregano leaves, chopped
2-3 Tbsps olive oil
1 large onion
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

PREP:

Wash, peel and slice the squash into 1/4" slices. If the skin is very tender, you may leave it unpeeled if you so choose. Reserve. Peel the onion, cut it in half from top to bottom (Arctica to Antacrtica, not across the equator) and slice the halves into ¼” slices.

COOK:

Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Sweat the onion until it becomes transparent, add the basil, and fry for about 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the zucchini or crookneck squash, reduce the heat, and braise with a few Tbsps water for 5-7 minutes, partially covered.

Serves 4-8, depending on how hungry you are and how much you like the recipe.

Summer squash is also wonderful simply peeled (when necessary), boiled in a small amoung of water—be sure to save the water in your Soup Container—buttered and lightly salted. Pattypan is especially good like this. It tastes a good bit like corn-on-the-cob, without the bits that stick between your teeth. Very nice for invalids, babies, toddlers and the elderly—and anybody with a liking for meals that taste like food!

This side dish is wonderful with manicotti, any kind of pasta, and a good lasagna!



Remember to let me know what you think of the recipes, and of the blog in general! If there is something you’ve always wanted to cook, or grow, or both, let me know and I’ll do a post on it. This is a gift from me to you, and as with all gifts, I’d like it to be something you really want.

Thanks, and God love you!

Nana

No comments:

Post a Comment